[Yum] My problem is not removing it is keeping

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Jul 3 02:15:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 03:12:42PM -0700, Larry C Robinson alleged:
> To me it seems that yum will not remove a particular package without
> removing most of the packages.  I can try to remove; for instance
> dmraid, but it will remove most of my GUI.  I know of a way with rpm to
> remove just that package but, I would like some of the other packages to
> go with it. It seems we are caught between the rpm way and learn what
> each package does and to what or, the yum way and have all removed with
> no choices.  Yes they all have these links but, I know some, or most,
> can survive on the system very well without that other one.  If Linux is
> about choice then give us back more choice.
> Thanks for you time
> Larry

Yum uses the package's deps as designated by the packager or rpm's
autoreq features.  If it is a dependency in rpm, then it will be in
yum.  There isn't anything yum can do about it.

You really want to talk to packagers of the rpms in question, i.e.,
whatever requires dmraid.

University of Southern California

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0