[Yum] KeyError: epoch

Shawn Flack shawn at shawnflack.com
Sat Jan 6 02:41:46 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: yum-bounces at lists.dulug.duke.edu
[mailto:yum-bounces at lists.dulug.duke.edu] On Behalf Of Shawn Flack
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 9:29 PM
To: 'Yellowdog Updater, Modified'
Subject: RE: [Yum] KeyError: epoch

-----Original Message-----
From: yum-bounces at lists.dulug.duke.edu
[mailto:yum-bounces at lists.dulug.duke.edu] On Behalf Of David Timms
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 9:03 PM
To: Yellowdog Updater, Modified

Shawn Flack wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I am running centos 4. When I run yum update I get this test and an error
> that says KeyError: epoch.
>
> What could the issue be. Google has not been my friend in resolving this
> so far.
>
> Below is the full text:
>
> [root at server yumtemp]# yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  61 kB    00:00
> update    : ################################################## 188/188
> Added 15 new packages, deleted 0 old in 0.36 seconds
> primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.5 MB    00:03
> rpmforge  :
> 1/6485Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 97, in main
>     result, resultmsgs = do()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 477, in doCommands
>     return self.updatePkgs()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 955, in updatePkgs
>     self.doRepoSetup()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 75, in doRepoSetup
>     self.doSackSetup(thisrepo=thisrepo)
>   File "__init__.py", line 260, in doSackSetup
>   File "repos.py", line 287, in populateSack
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 96, in getPrimary
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 89, in _getbase
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 359, in updateSqliteCache
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 251, in addPrimary
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 197, in insertHash
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 449, in values
>   File "sqlitecache.py", line 441, in __getitem__
>   File "mdparser.py", line 73, in __getitem__
> KeyError: 'epoch'
>
> If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I would much appreciate a point in
> the right direction.
>I'll hazard a guess that there is sqlite db is corrupt/duplicate primary
>key, but perhaps only with rpmforge. Try disabling that repo and check
>results.
>yum --disablerepo=rpmforge update

>If still no go, perhaps a
>yum clean dbcache
>and retrying will get it. if not
>yum clean metadata
>and try again.

>Any output would be useful.

>DaveT.

YES! That worked. What is the next step to fix the issue then?

Thank you so much... very frustrating. I'm obviously a linux newbie trying
to find my way.

Sorry for replying to my own post but, the --disablerepo is what fixed it. I
wasn't clear on the previous post.

My ultimate goal is to install clamav using yum. I just tried yum
--disablerepo=rpmforge update

This is what I get:

[root at server ~]# yum --disablerepo=rpmforge install clamav
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: clamav