[Yum] Weird: IOError: <urlopen error (-2 Name.. but yumex works!!!

Alan Robert Clark a.clark at ee.wits.ac.za
Tue Jan 2 17:25:32 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:

> and if you replace urlgrabber in the above command with 'wget'
>
> what happens?

My apologies.

I should have mentioned that wget/firefox/ping etc all work flawlessly.
I get the mirrorlist etc. Commenting out the mirror line in the repos.d,
and reverting to the olde style baseurl instead does nothing. Yumex uses
**THESE SAME** files!!! Oh, its marvellous!!!!!!

As I said I can happily add freshrpms/livna etc and yumex has performed
beautifully, despite needing the occasional kill -9 to catch a hang :-).
But it does work getting things!

Again, I believe the significance of my particular problem is the total
lack of traffic (DNS or otherwise) on my interfaces....???

Thank you again for your reply. As I said, allergic as I am to all
things pointy-clicky, I am relieved that something works! Why yumex
works in the same environment that yum coughs, I have (as of yet) no
idea (and I have spent a minute or two on the problem :-) :-) :-).

Thanks for your time

Alan

--
Alan Robert Clark, Pr Eng     Computational Electromagnetics
Associate Professor                 Wits University
Fax (+27 11)403-1929             a.clark at ee.wits.ac.za
Tel (+27 11)717-7223(24hr)  <http://YingTongDiddleiPo.ee.wits.ac.za/>
   GPG Public Key at <http://YingTongDiddleiPo.ee.wits.ac.za/arc.gpg>
           **Linux ---the choice of a GNU generation.**