[Yum] Documentation for syntax: mirrorlist=http://...?..& ?

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Dec 18 16:50:35 UTC 2007

tom campbell wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I can't seem to find the documentation for the syntax for the following
> line in a *.repo file:
>

> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
>
> Before I download the yum source and look at the code, I was hoping
> someone could point me to a URL/man page/ that explains:
>       * The '?'
>       * The '&'
>       * All the '='s
>
> I know about the generic $xxx variables.
>
> Thanks, I'm running yum 3.2.8 on Fedora 7 which appears to be the
> current stable version.

Those &s, ?s and = are just characters in the URL to the document which
provides a list of mirrors. Apparently, it's a script, and release, arch
and repo are the parameters to that script. This has nothing to do with
yum directly, it's just centos webmasters implemented it in that way. I
mean, the URL could possibly be something like
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/$releasever/$arch/os or anything else.