[Yum] installroot question

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Tue Dec 18 03:30:56 UTC 2007

Curtis Higgins wrote:
> My ultimate goal would be to have the nfs mount self contained.  If
> all the libiries and dependencies need to be installed in /usr/local,
> then that is fine with me.  I'm not doing this for any reason other
> than to learn how to do it.  At some point I'd envision using this set
> up in an academic setting with many computers.

This is rather hard.

The somewhat easy way is to use PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
For example, I like to have a copy of gparted handy in /opt/gparted,
complete with the required libraries. What I did was :
- put binaries in /opt/gparted/bin
- put libraries in /opt/gparted/lib
- setup a wrapper script, gparted.sh, like this :
#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/opt/gparted/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gparted/lib
gparted

This method is handy for simple programs. If it also needs other
resources (e.g. configuration files, icons, etc.) you might have to
tweak a lot of settings.

Another way to to this is by compiling programs specific to a certain
path.  For example, blastwave.org's packages for solaris is
self-contained in /opt/csw. All binaries, libraries, and other files are
there. It requires special compilation options (for example, by using
-R/opt/csw/lib).

> Would rpm source files be an option?  Can yum resolve the dependincies
> on rpm source files?  And, can you modify where the rpm scource files
> install to, and use yum to handle all the other stuff?  I was thinking
> of writing a wrapper script that I can use to get everything self
> contained on the nfs mount.
>
> Also, what steps would I need to go through to either move, or copy a
> program from one location to another.  ie Copy the bin, then the
> libiries, then ???

There is no generic way that is guaranteed to work for all programs. So
in short, don't use RPM and yum for this purpose.

If you're looking for a centralized root filesystem, then I'd suggest
you use either :
- nfsroot
- thin client (LTSP, xrdp, etc.)

--