[Yum] installroot question

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Dec 17 19:27:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:30:58PM -0700, Curtis Higgins alleged:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use yum to install some programs to /usr/local rather than
> /usr.  It seems to me that I would need to use the command:
>
> yum installroot=/usr/local install xmms
>
> When I run that command I get the error:
>
> Cannot open logfile /usr/local/var/log/yum.log
> Determining fastest mirrors
> removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
> /usr/local/var/cache/yum/fedora/mirrorlist.txt
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: fedora
>
> If I run the same command without the installroot option, it works fine, am
> I not using the right command option to get the package installed into a
> different directory?  If I'm doing this wrong, what is the right way?
>
> My goal is to create an nfs export where some useful programs live, the all
> my computers have access to.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

For a variety of reasons, yum and rpm are not the tools you want for this task.
yum, for its part, simply doesn't do this.  Even if you did move the binaries
from /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin, they wouldn't find libraries in
/usr/local/lib.

You are talking about setting up a software collection that necessarily does
not get repo closure; meaning that it will not contain all of its own
dependencies.

Imagine that xmms has lots and lots of dependencies, from audio/video packages
down to glibc.  You have to draw a line between which deps are installed
locally on each machine, and which are in your NFS share.

After you decide which packages go into the NFS share, then you need to build
them from source.  This is necessary so that the correct file paths (things
like ld rpaths) are added to the binaries correctly.

This is not really a simple project and I don't recommend it.  Unless you are
able to detect a lot of time to getting all of the builds correct, just use the
provided rpms.