[Yum] installroot question

Curtis Higgins higgincc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 01:30:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'd like to use yum to install some programs to /usr/local rather than
/usr.  It seems to me that I would need to use the command:

yum installroot=/usr/local install xmms

When I run that command I get the error:

Cannot open logfile /usr/local/var/log/yum.log
Determining fastest mirrors
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
/usr/local/var/cache/yum/fedora/mirrorlist.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: fedora

If I run the same command without the installroot option, it works fine, am
I not using the right command option to get the package installed into a
different directory?  If I'm doing this wrong, what is the right way?

My goal is to create an nfs export where some useful programs live, the all
my computers have access to.

Any help is appreciated.