[Yum] Unable to install yum client on AIX

pvsaradhi at gmail.com pvsaradhi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:38:15 UTC 2007

Greetings:

I am prototyping YUM tool for RPM package management in my network, it works
great on Linux machines. My environment also includes other flavors of UNIX:
AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX. I tried to extend YUM to these flavors of UNIX and
could not get YUM to install on AIX server (I haven't tried other flavors
yet, but am guessing I would have similar problems).

Following is the output I get when trying to install yum on AIX server:
AIXSVR:/home/saradhi#rpm -ivh yum-2.0.8-1.noarch.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        /bin/bash   is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        /sbin/chkconfig   is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        /sbin/service   is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        /usr/bin/python   is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        libxml2-python is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        python is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        rpm >= 0:4.1.1 is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
        rpm-python is needed by yum-2.0.8-1
AIXSVR:/home/saradhi#

I can download bash and python from IBM site, however I could not
find /sbin/chkconfig and /sbin/service for AIX.

Could someone please help me resolve this problem.
Thank you,
Saradhi.