[Yum] Re: Yum or repository problem?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 25 17:12:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 10:27:00AM -0400, Poohba wrote:
> # yum upgrade kernel
> Setting up Upgrade Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.22.4-65.fc7 set to be updated
> filelists.xml.gz          100% |=========================| 1.6 MB
> 00:01
> filelists.xml.gz          100% |=========================| 679 kB
> 00:01
> filelists.sqlite.bz2      100% |=========================| 3.1 MB
> 00:33
> --> Processing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 for package:
> fuse-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
> --> Processing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 for package:
> gspcav1-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 is needed by
> package fuse-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
> Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 is needed by
> package gspcav1-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>
> How do I know what/where the problem is?  Is it that none of the repos
> have it and is that common?

The problem is that ATrpms supports kernels of F7, and there are kmdls
for each kernel rpm there is. So far so good. But once the kernel rpm
is deleted from the main repo suddenly yum sees packages that don't
have a kernel counterpart anymore. Technically correct yum tells you
that foo-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 depends on the not-anymore-existing
kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7.

Now is it a problem in repos or in yum? I would say both. The 3rd
paryt repo, in this case ATrpms, can't react that fast to changes in
the master repo, not even the (two) kernel modules shipped in Fedora
themselves can. So for a short period of time there will be "broken"
dependencies.

Yum's "fault" is that it is too fragile against such changes, other
depsolvers like apt and smart are more forgiving. But there is a
plugin that makes yum behave like apt and smart called
"skip-broken-dependencies" plugin or similar. Desite its frightening
name I would recommend this as the default setup for any system.