[Yum] RFE: better error messaging for yum

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:24:52 UTC 2007

Just as a "nice" type notification to users, would it be possible to
be a bit more descriptive in some of the 'Nothing to do' yum messages?
I've seen a fair amount of my users (admittedly some of the new to
linux crowd) who attempt to try to install packages they already have
on their systems. Yum replies to this with a simple 'Nothing to do'.
The same message it gives if there's no package matching that name in
the repository.

Situation 1:
User runs 'yum install foo' and already has the current version of foo
installed.
Instead of getting "Nothing to do", yum would return "Package is
already installed"

Situation 2:
User tries 'yum install apache' instead of 'httpd'.
Instead of "Nothing to do", user gets "No package exists by that name"
or some other helpful lart.

Comments? Feasibility?

George Orwell