[Yum] help! how to up grade my glibc?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 8 14:43:01 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 16:48 +0800, wang9736 wrote:
>>  hi all
>> i use redhat linux 7.3 ,and want to upgrade my glibc from 2.2.5 to
>> 2.3.6.
>> my yum.conf is below
>>

>> dose it means website above dosenot supply any software i need ?
>> how should i do?
>>
>> by the way i have a Fedora 7 DVD iso disk,how can i upgrade my glibc
>> to the newest on the
>> DVD disk?the high version will be compatible with my kernel?
>
> Short version:
>  the version of red hat linux you have installed is very, very old and
> the best way to upgrade it is to reinstall your system to a newer
> version. Use the fedora7 dvd you have to install the whole distribution.

Slightly longer: glibc is the building blocks that 1202 packages on my
Fedora 7 installation rely upon. You would end up upgrading everything
anyway, so you might as well install the current release if your
hardware can support it.

on the existing system:
rpm -qa --queryformat="%{name} " > packagelistold.txt
backup the /etc /home /var {dbs etc}

on the new install:
do a minimal install {uncheck all packages and groups except yum - this
leaves a bootable os}.
yum install `cat packagelistold.txt`

I have found in the past that:
- the packages line generated might be too long and needs to be split
into shorter paths.
- some packages change names, and would have to be removed from the
packagelistold.txt file.

DaveT.