[Yum] RE: yum compatibility backward with rpm

Skahan, Vince vince.skahan at boeing.com
Sat Aug 4 05:40:36 UTC 2007

Just in case anybody cares, a minimal FC6 using Jesse's list and just
about today's updated rpms results in a initrd that is 383MB in size
(before gzip) which boots just fine into a 512MB ramdisk.

When I get done stripping it down manually, I have a 138 MB image that
still includes all 48 MB of kernel modules.  Based on past history given
I only have to support some pretty basic hardware, I'm guessing I can
get that minimal-list-of-rpms system to 110 MB or so before gzipping the
initrd without too much pain.

Pretty cool, no need to go busybox or really embedded for a
ramdisk-based router/firewall box.  Just throw 128MB ramdisk at the
problem for a few bucks...

------ vince.skahan at boeing.com ------