[Yum] Dynamic yum respositories?

jak two renegade jak_two_renegade at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 07:12:19 UTC 2007

Ram Pai <linuxram at us.ibm.com> wrote:  On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 09:13 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> Ram Pai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have this unique problem. I am planning on providing through yum
> > repositories, driver rpms for different versions of the distro kernel.
> > As and when new kernel is available and installed by the user, the
> > corresponding rpm for the driver is automatically made available in the
> > repositories.
> Although Michael's response to pass kernel version to yum is
> interesting, I believe the aproach you're looking for requires that the
> particular kernel version (or to be accurate, the kernel-devel package
> incase of RHEL) is also installed on the yum server.

Yes. the kernel-devel rpm has to be made available on the server side
along with cgi-scripts that can do the magic of generating new rpms on
demand.

> Plus, some srpms only builds driver for the current running kernel by
> default, so you might need to tweak that as well.
>
> Have you take a look at dkms, also another DELL project, instead?
> http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml
>
> dkms will allow clients to build drivers for new kernels dynamically,
> since when the new kernel boots dkms_autoinstaller will create the
> appropriate driver for it. Converting an srpm to dkms rpm is actually
> quite easy. I've managed to create dkms rpms for qlogic HBA driver
> (v8.01.07) and RHEL5's gfs (v0.1.16) the same day I found out about dkms.
>
> This should solve most driver problems. For qlogic HBA (or any scsi
> driver, I think), you need to reboot twice, as it will also update
> initrd which will only be used on the next reboot.

True. But DKMS solves a different set of problems. In my case I dont
have source rpms, but only binary drivers packaged in rpms in a
repository.
And the requirement is ability to automatically provide rpms for all
future kernels.

I imagine this dynamic-repository idea can be used with dkms on the
server side. Because dkms can generate rpms on the server on-demand
using the driver sources.(offcourse you would need kernel-devel rpm on
the server side too).

RP

> Regards,
>
> Fajar