[Yum] Re: [Yum-devel] Dynamic yum respositories?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Apr 24 13:51:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 02:34:58AM -0700, Ram Pai wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I have this unique problem. I am planning on providing through yum
> repositories, driver rpms for different versions of the distro kernel.
> As and when new kernel is available and installed by the user, the
> corresponding rpm for the driver is automatically made available in the
> repositories.  In all probability the driver present in the rpm for a
> older kernel will suffice since the kernel's ABI would'nt have changed.
> In such cases the driver rpm for the new kernel can be built dynamically
> in the repository, reusing the driver in a existing rpm.
>
>      However I find that even if these rpms can dynamically be made
> available on demand by the yum client, the yum protocol does not lend
> itself to handle these dynamically generated rpms.
>
> Does anybody know of ways this can be handled with existing
> infrastructure?
>
>     I am thinking may be createrepo  is augmented to generate xml files,
> which somehow convey to the client that some rpms can be made available
> on-demand. Will that work?  Looking for ideas/suggestions.

Ram,
    After mulling on this a little bit, how about this idea:

    You could create a yum plugin that sets yumvars: $kernelver and
$kernelarch. Then you could set up the repo with

mirrorlist=http://your.site/mirror.cgi&kernelver=$kernelver&kernelarch=$kernelarch

    In your CGI script, you could detect if modules for that kenrel are
built. If they are, return the repo baseurl. If they are not, build the
packages and update the repo metadata before returning the baseurl.
--
Michael