[Yum] Breeding edge solution ??

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 23:25:45 UTC 2006

This solution would take a little change on the client side, and perhaps on the host side as well.

On the client side, we could have a "first free number" facility, such that each yum update would be  sequentially numbered, with of course, a log file.  Associated with the number  would be the download  timestamp and a llst of items that were downloaded. A CVS type of repository for replaced items would be necessary.

If one had to recover, then by looking at the log, one could determine how far to backtrack.

Backtracking would undo all updates to that version. I could then, although somewhat tedious, one could redo the yum updates for the files really wanted.

A second feature could be the limitation on the number of versions of backups before wrap around occurs..  I would think that 45 days would be sufficient. I chose 45 days, because many businesses have financial month ends, and we would want a recoverable stable system for at least that amount of time.

That is my two pennies worth of thoughts.  New development? I am not into the internals of yum and rpm, so I cannot tell you.

Leslie