[Yum] Bleeding edge avoidence

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 17:03:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:25 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> You mentioned C3, where there are no yum plugins as well.
>
> We are working on a yum-2.4.x for centos3 ... however it is not ready
> yet.

Different issue here but still regarding yum and centos...  With
Centos3 it appears that running yum through a caching proxy
when updating several machines will result in mostly hits in
the cache, where with Centos4 the hits are rare because yum
seems to use different mirrors on each run.  I thought the Centos
web site mentioned something about a geo-ip scheme to pick the
closest mirror.  Is there some reason it is less consistent for
Centos4?  It is much slower and uses more bandwidth at both ends.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com