[Yum] RPM DB corruption after using Yum

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Sep 5 22:49:44 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 18:23 -0700, Patrick Donahue wrote:
>> Hi Seth,
>>
>> I just read your post
>> (https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2003-April/001010.html)
>> from way back in April 2003 as I'm experiencing the
>> same problem. I used yum to update some packages,
>> noticed I had RPM DB problems, and rpm --rebuilddb
>> before deleting the necessary files in /var/lib/rpm.
>> Is there any way to fix my setup? I have lots of
>> missing packages when I run "rpm -qa". Also, I thought
>> this bug was fixed long ago? I'm running yum version
>> 2.4.2.
>>

> 1. don't contact me directly about problems, please contact the
> yum-mailing list - that way your questions and the responses to them can
> help more people
>
> 2. The problem is in the version of rpm - so you'll have to have a bit
> more complete info - what ver of rpm and of the linux kernel are you
> running? What distro is it?

IMHE when the RPM db is hosed, it's hosed, and it's time to wipe the
system and install the next version of whatever. It's happened to me
four or five times, both with up2date and with yum: rpm --rebuilddb
doesn't seem to do anything useful (actually in all cases so far it
runs and sits there and eventually just hangs and never completes).

///Peter