[Yum] Bleeding edge avoidence

Tim Forbes timforbes at canada.com
Fri Sep 1 15:12:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:10:45AM -0400, Tim Forbes wrote:

> > > You can set the versionlock file to be somewhere remote, eg
> > > locklist=http://my.main.server.com/versionlock/distro/$releasever or
> > > similar. Then you just control that one file, all yum update/install
> > > operations will use the versions specified there no matter what other
> > > versions are available.
> >
> > I hate to sound dense, but I don't see how that follows the
> > tested system.  Can you give a complete example or point to
> > more detailed documentation?  The scenario is that one machine
> > is used for testing and once it is approved, the same set
> > of packages should be updated on a group of remote machines
> > in different locations.  However, one or a few RPM packages will
> > be local system config files that are tied to the machine
> > location and should not be identical everywhere.

> > > One way to do "download only" with current yum itself is to set
> > > tsflags=test in yum.conf, that way it'll just perform a transaction test
> > > but not actually do anything to the system. Or you can write a five-line
> > > plugin to make it stop once download completes.
> >
> > Again, how is someone supposed to know how to do this?  Do you
> > now have to know python to interact with yum beyond the default
> > 'I hope the repository is OK' mode?
>
> Les, yum actually helps you solve the issue. I hunted on the internet a bit
> and deduced that it should be pretty easy to get going. On my FC5 box...
>
> [root at tforbes-88 ~]# yum install yum-downloadonly
> [root at tforbes-88 ~]# yum
> etc
>
> Disable the feature by editing the following file like this...
> [root at tforbes-88 ~]# cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/downloadonly.conf
> [main]
> enabled=0

Sorry to be responding to my own answer, but I have just discovered a crutial point. After making the plugin available and enabled, you must use the --downloadonly option when starting yum.

Here are the steps I used to separately download and install a package...

[root at tforbes-88 etc]# yum --downloadonly update vixie-cron
[root at tforbes-88 etc]# yum -C update vixie-cron