[Yum] Not connecting to repositories

Joao Palhoto Matos jmatos at math.ist.utl.pt
Thu Oct 26 07:18:40 UTC 2006

seth vidal escreveu:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 00:41 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> Joelle Tegwen wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not able to connect to the repositories. This just started recently
>>> and it's happening to me both at home (FC4) and at work (FC5).
>>>
>>> I spent a great deal of time at home researching options and trying to
>>> update repository files all to no avail.
>>> Since it happened to both machines at once I'm wondering if there was a
>>> conflict that was created in some automatic update (I have the auto up
>>> dater on for both machines.)
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
>>> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras
>>> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates
>>>
>> This is a rather frequent occurrence. Yum uses a method of looking up
>> hostnames (gethostbyname in Python) which often fails, even when the
>> site is actually accessible.
>>
>> Michael Stenner posted a suggestion to use /etc/nsswitch.conf (in reply
>> to my post in February (see thread "Re: [Yum] dag repo problems"), but
>> I wasn't able to work out what to do with it.
>>

> Actually the above errors have nothing to do with yum.
> They are because fedora.redhat.com is down right now and the mirrorlist
> url is not accessible.
>
> -sv

This is definitely OT but it occurs to me that a trivial improvement to
the Fedora infrastructure would be to have a few reliable mirrors of the
mirror lists (the ones for yum, not the ones for human eyes) ready for
times when a superman vilain, aka a Fedora release, strikes... Right now
the only options seems to be start guessing about a good mirror (which
my experience tells me is a rather strange function of time).

--
João Palhoto Matos                     http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jmatos
Departamento de Matemática
Lisboa                                      mailto:jmatos at math.ist.utl.pt