[Yum] newbie

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Oct 22 12:34:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 06:51:13AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> There are "Rebuild Projects" available that take the source provided by
> the upstream provider and rebuild RPMS that you can use.
>
> They do have free updates and have software with the same version
> numbers as the upstream provider ... however, they do not have paid 4
> hour or next day support, etc.

Small correction: some providers of free rebuilds (like we at X/OS do
for our X/OS Linux) *do* offer support with a predefined response time
(and tuned to the needs of the customer) for their RHEL-rebuild product.
That support is completely independent from Red Hat, of course.

> The "Rebuild Projects" provide quality software ... but if you need
> official paid support or if you need an officially supported OS for 3rd
> Party Software then your only real option is to stay with RHEL or hire
> someone to maintain your servers.

Same comment, except that some 3rd party sofware vendors indeed might
require that you have "the real thing" (RHEL) with a RH support contract.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>