[Yum] How to force yum to install rather then update packages (c.f. kernel packages)

John Rouillard rouilj-yum at renesys.com
Mon Oct 16 15:48:03 UTC 2006

Hi all:

I have rpm's that are built to be installed simultaneously on a
system.  They install into separate trees: /tools/appl-1.0.0,
/tools/appl-1.2.3 and /tools/appl-2.3.0 (they are depot-lite software
configurations placed into an RPM).

When I perform a 'yum install appl-2.3.0' it performs an update
removing the package info for appl-1.0.0 and appl-1.2.3 from the rpm
database. I can install all the packages using 'rpm -i appl-1.0.0',
'rpm appl-1.2.3' .... but after installing with yum I can't delete the
original packages since rpm has no record of them.

In the mailing lists I found this note from 2003:

  https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2003-April/000980.html

talking about a more general method for specifying packages as install
only, but I haven't found anything about how to make a package
'install only'. Also there is discussion of the 'hack' for supporting
kernel installs, but no discussion of the hack or how to make use (or if
it can be used) when you have multiple install-only packages.

So am I just out of luck and must forget about using yum to
install/maintain my systems or is there some way to handle this?

BTW I am using a mix of Fedora Core 1, 2, 3 to centos 4 boxes (all
redhat based distros). The centos 4 version of yum I have is
yum-2.4.3-1.c4.

Thanks for your help.

--
				-- rouilj