[Yum] bizarre yum badness -- packages removed instead of updated...

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Oct 13 18:35:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 09:29 +0300, Tuomo Soini wrote:

> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen anything this?
> >
> > By the way, in this latest case, the problem showed up when someone ran "yum
> > update" manually -- not just via our automatic script.
>
> My latest yum pkg update did same. It removed old yum pkg and installed
> new on several systems resulting yum.conf changing to default one.
>
> Oct 06 11:04:19 Erased: yum
> Oct 06 11:04:22 Updated: yum.noarch 2.6.1-9.4.foo
>
> Notice: This happens with yum-2.6.1 on rhel-4 clone.
>
> Is this known bug and is there fix for this?
>
> - --

It's been reported but it's not been fixed, no.

The thing I can't figure out is that at the point where the transaction
occurs we've handed off all the control to rpmlib.

I can think of some instrumentation we could add to find out what the
tsInfo object looks like before the transaction if you can get it to
reoccur.