[Yum] Problems w/Yum after Python Upgrade

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Tue Nov 21 17:34:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:24:29AM -0600, Williard, Jason enlightened us:
> I recently upgraded Python on my CentOS 4.4 server to Python 2.5.  After
> a while, I noticed that I was no longer able to run Yum.  When I try, I
> get the following message.  Has anyone seen this before?  If so, do you
> know what causes this and how to resolve it?

Yum on CentOS 4 is built for Python 2.3. By upgrading it, you broke it and
probably most of the configuration utilities as well, since they all use
Python. CentOS/RHEL expects a working Python 2.3.

If you need Python 2.5, I suggest you install it in parallel and return 2.3
to a working state. If you just need yum, rebuilding it against 2.5 would
probably work, but I wouldn't trust having a system with a broken/unxepected
Python.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak