[Yum] Re: yum criticism

Thomas Hartwig t.hartwig.news at itth.com
Thu Nov 16 20:15:36 UTC 2006

Michael Stenner wrote:
> Nost of your technical points (not quoted here) have been addressed by
> Jay, and I think most of them are non-issues (meaning the feature you
> want is actually present).  I'm going to address something else.
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 02:17:14PM +0100, Thomas Hartwig wrote:
>> I know these ones have discussed already some times, but what me makes
>> angry are the answers of the developers (very simplified):
>>
>> - This feature would break the system of the user.
>> - Why should a user want to use this, since he has not written linux.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand your point (there may be language
> issues, so forgive me if I misunderstand you) but I think I know what
> you mean.
>
> The authors of yum (mostly Seth, but I and most of the rest fully
> support him) have deliberately chosen a design philosophy which
> encourages clean, safe management.  There are very few "override"
> options and very few ways to work around problems elsewhere (like
> packaging problems or repo problems).  This encourages power users to
> do it the "right way" and it helps keep novices from getting into
> trouble.

Yes indeed, this is it - thank you your understanding ;-)
But what is the main reason for this philosophy?
I think of yum as the major software management tool, which even should
have all features and not try to wire. There are tools on top of yum
already with nice graphical interfaces for end users.
But this might be my very personal thinking.

> You're welcome to disagree with this philosophy, and I'm very sorry if
> you find it insulting.  You really shouldn't.  Yum utils and yum
> plugins allow to anything you want, really.  Anything goes in a plugin
> or util.

I have seen it now, sorry for not looking more eager.

> If yum (or anyone else) feels like yum is pair of blunt-tipped plastic
> scissors, well, you're probably right.  Feel free to use a razor blade
> if you wish, or add on the whirring-saw-blade-of-death attachment from
> yum-utils or -plugins.

Well spoken ;-)

Thanks a lot
Thomas