[Yum] yum criticism

Jay Soffian jay-yum at soffian.org
Thu Nov 16 14:18:32 UTC 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Thomas Hartwig wrote:

> 1. Yum is really slow in comparison to apt.

Then use apt.

> You might often heard this and the reasons might be quite complex,
> but for an end user like me it is really annoying how yum is
> fetching everything again upon restart.

/etc/yum.conf:

metadata_expire=604800

It'll only reload your cache once a week.

Also, 3.0.1 can make use of a cache-loader written in C so it's much
faster to load the cache. As far as fetching the RPM metadata in the
first place, well, that's between you and the repository.

> 2. Yum leaks major features:
> - support of source repositories

See yum-utils.

> - support of version selection