[Yum] yum 2.4.3 dual-arch dependency problem

Joshua Jensen joshua at iwsp.com
Wed Nov 15 08:46:10 UTC 2006

I have this installed on my x86_64 system with yum 2.4.3:

a.x86_64
b.x86_64
b.i386

a.x86_64 requires the newest version of b.x86_64.

When an update becomes available for a.x86_64, I do a "yum update a".
The new "a" requires the new b.x86_64.  Fine, no problems... the
packages are in a sane distribution where the new b is provided.  So yum
solves the dependency by preparing to upgrade b.x86_64 too.

However, the transaction fails, because b.i386 isn't getting upgraded...
and b.i386 old isn't same version as b.x86_64 new and they conflict.
There is a manual solution to this: "yum update a b".  That makes yum
think about both arches of the new b packages.  Of course, that requires
me to know about the dependency on "b"... when all I'm going for is the
new "a".

Shouldn't yum handle this better?  If pulling in a package, even just
for dependency purposes, shouldn't it upgrade *all* architectures of
that package on the machine, instead of just the one needed for the
dependency resolution?

--
Joshua Jensen
joshua_at_iwsp_com