[Yum] RFC: Linking of Repositories

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Mon Nov 13 17:49:09 UTC 2006

Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

> +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> >
> > There's no irc channel, no, but I'm not sure there's much to meet
> > about.
> > The feature you're asking for doesn't make any sense to me. We're
> > talking about adding a significant amount changes to the backend to tie
> > repositories together in order to facilitate just adding a .repo file
> > in /etc/yum.repos.d/
> >
> > That seems handling the problem the wrong way, imo.
> >
> Hmm, as I said, it's not only for this particular project that I ask,
> I'm more here as a dellegate.
> The change would be to extend the .repo format to support something like
>
> [channelName]
> name=A sample repository
> type=rpm-md
> baseurl=http://..../BinaryRepo/OS/Version
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=.....
> enabled=1
> dep-baseurl=http://..../DataRepo/
> dep-gpgcheck=1
> dep-gpgkey=......
> (optionally multiple dependencies, but that is probably nothing that
> should be needed)
>
> So, the new part would be dep-* which would instruct to link in at
> least on more repo.
>
> What other solution can you see? Of course, the user can add 2 repos,
> but that's a thing more or less impossible to instruct all users.
>
> The important part would be to have the SPEC for this .repo file set
> to a new version. Of course at the beginning not all binaries will
> interpret them (but they are hopefully kinda grateful on unknown
> parameters)
>
> so: you think there's really nothing that can be discussed about such
> a feature request anymore?
>
> Dominique
This don't make any sense to me:

You can define more repositories in the same repo file.

[channelName]
name=A sample repository
baseurl=http://..../BinaryRepo/OS/Version
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=.....
enabled=1

[channelName-data]
name=A sample data repository
baseurl=http://..../DataRepo/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=.....
enabled=1

You can build an rpm containing the repo files, this seem like a repo
file distribution problem, it don't need any changes
in yum.
I the Fedora world there is a lot of 3.part repositories not included in
the base repo setup, most for them have create an
rpm file with the repofiles, gpg keys etc. to setup the repository
configuration.
The user just download and install the rpm file and the 3. part repo is
added.

Tim