[Yum] RFC: Linking of Repositories

Dominique Leuenberger Dominique.Leuenberger at TMF-Group.com
Thu Nov 9 15:45:14 UTC 2006

04:27:02PM +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

> > The game is split in a os/arch dependent (binary) and an
> > os/arch-independent (data) part. As the data part is somewhat big
> > (160MB) it's a waste to replicate that one for all OS versions,
and
> fill
> > servers with it.
>
> IMHO this is not a Yum problem, but a filesystem problem.
>
> What is wrong with creating the repositories with (preferably)
> hardlinked (and otherwise softlinked) RPM packages?
>
> On our x86_64 repo, all i386/i686 RPMs are hardlinked to the same
> files in the i386 repo, thus avoiding any duplicates (except in
> the repo metadata, of course).

Jos,

I see your point, but we (openSUSE community) are working with a
BuildService(BS, a RPM Build Cluster) that builds all the RPMs for
different platforms and get's replicated to several mirrors.

I'm not sure if linking will be a long term solution that can be kept
up, as most users on the BS don't have 'file level' access (none except
Novell in fact).

That's why we're looking in some completely general solution.

Dominique