[Yum] RFC: Linking of Repositories

Dominique Leuenberger Dominique.Leuenberger at TMF-Group.com
Thu Nov 9 15:27:02 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm a member of the openSUSE community and official maintainer of some
RPM Packages.
The issue for this mail is caused by the Packages of the game UFO:AI,
which has a 160MB Data (thus noarch) RPM.

We are thnking (and thus proposing here) an extension of the repository
metadata to have the following possibilities (I'll make it ono the
example of UFO:AI, but it applies to other things too)

The game is split in a os/arch dependent (binary) and an
os/arch-independent (data) part. As the data part is somewhat big
(160MB) it's a waste to replicate that one for all OS versions, and fill
servers with it.

For this reason we're looking for some capabilities within yum:
- If somebody subscribes to a specific repository (in this case one of
them containing UFO:AI Binaries), he should automatically be
linked-in/subscribed to another repository, containing the Data Files.
Like this, the Data File can be kept in a unique version and all OS
Versions would subscribe to the same repo.

For the moment, the user has to subscribe to both repositories manually
and that is very difficult to explain to all users, especially as they
are never interested in the technical part and as a consequence,
everybody just says: 'hey.  it's onle 160MB, don't worry'

What do YOU think about this suggestion? Can we work out something like
this together to get it unified?

Thanks for some replies,
Dominique