[Yum] repoquery --whatprovides /usr/lib/python2.4 in rawhide

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 8 12:44:43 UTC 2006

David Lutterkort wrote:
> When I run
>         repoquery --whatprovides /usr/lib/python2.4
>
> against Fedora rawhide, I get
>
>         kdebindings-0:3.5.5-0.1.fc6.i386
>         mailman-3:2.1.9-2.i386
>         python-0:2.4.4-1.fc7.i386
>
> I understand python (expected) and kdebindings (packaging mistake), but
> can't find any reason why mailman would provide /usr/lib/python2.4. The
> closest I have found is that it owns
> '/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/lib/python2.4' .. is this a bug in
> repoquery ?
Would a
rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.4
rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/python2.4
yum erase mailman
yum erase kdebindings
provide some more info ?
   {I am assuming further requirements on mailman and kdebindings would
cause yum to list the other packages it would want to remove based on
the dependencies.} You could then see if this ties in with your first
results.

On my FC6 system rpm -qf shows only python, but repoquery does show
{different versions of} the same packages you found.

DaveT.