[Yum] Strange hang...

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Wed Nov 1 16:27:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 08:58 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
> > rpm --rebuilddb
>
> Yes this was exactly it.  yum -d 10 showed the hang was at the rpmdb
> read, so I could figure it out.

Robert, Seth,

We've had so many issues with the futex issue that our auto-update
script has a ton of logic in it before calling yum update.

We run "/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_stat -c -h /var/lib/rpm | grep 'current
locks' | cut -f 1" and if the number is not 0, we remove
the /var/lib/rpm/__db* files and rebuild the RPM database.

It's surprising the number of rpm --rebuilddb's we run on a daily basis
across 7,000+ RHEL 3 and 4 hosts.  A bunch of fixes were put into place
on RHEL 3 Update 5's rpm, so we've pushed it to all RHEL 3 boxes
(including those not yet running Update 5+).  It reduced the issue, but
we still have a few hundred rebuilds a day and we've haven't been able
to track it down.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       IT Infrastructure                  . | | | . | | | .