[Yum] Strange hang...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 1 13:08:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> For some reason, when I try to run yum this morning it hangs:
> In a bit I'll try to run it with maximum debugging and report.  I'll
> also give it a half hour or so to complete.

Hmmm, it was hanging at the point where it was reading the rpmdb.  I'm
attempting to rebuild (rpm --rebuilddb) and will try again.  Curiously,
rpm -ql whatever works standalone, and of course it is also curious that
yum and the db were fine last night and corrupt this morning.

Aha -- looks like it got interrupted last night with a list of 00db.00?
files in place, which acted like lockfiles.  rpm --rebuild wouldn't work
until I removed them.  yum now works again.

Is this a common problem or did I just find myself in a very unusual
state?

    rgb

>  rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu