[Yum] yum not updating Fedora 5

Carlson, Jim jcarlson at rti.org
Fri May 19 13:35:37 UTC 2006

I recently created FEDORA Core 5 disks and used them to load a dual
Pentium III 500Mhz machine. The install went smooth and I installed a
server type configuration. Once complete, I executed

yum -y update

It updated and all seemed to work as expected.

The next time I tried to use yum to install a package, it gave me the
following error

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules

required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

            /usr/lib/nsr/libgcc_s.so.1: version 'GCC_4.2.0' not found
(required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

Please install a package which provides this module, or

verify the module is installed correctly

It's possible the above module doesn't match the

Current version of Python, which is:

2.4.2 (#1, Feb12 2006, 03:59:46)

[GCC 4.1.0 20060210 (Red Hat 4.1.0-0.24)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself please go to the yum faq at

I could not find out how to solve this at the faq.

Thanks,

Jim