[Yum] How can I find where yum installs stuff??

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue May 16 21:51:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:32:19PM -0400, GeorgeE alleged:

> My short question for the yum mailing list is: How can I find where yum
> installs stuff??

> Background (skip if you know the answer to my question)
> I'm trying to install MySQL Eventum on a Fedora Core 5 box with php 5,
> but it gives me this error:
>
> Configuration Error:
>
> The following problems regarding file and/or directory permissions were
> found:
>
> The GD extension needs to be enabled in your PHP.INI file in order for
> Eventum to work properly.
> The 'allow_call_time_pass_reference' directive needs to be enabled in
> your PHP.INI file in order for Eventum to work properly.
> I looked at phpinfo and found this configuration option: '--without-gd'
>
> So I guess I've got to install the GD extension.....
> Well, can I use yum to fix this?  I don't know, but let me do some more
> installations....
> yum install gd	-- did nothing
> yum install gd-devel -- installed gd-devel.i386 0:2.0.33-6.2
> yum install php-gd
>
> Using locate, I find what looks like the gd extension (but I'd like to
> know a way to get yum to tell me), and I try this, which doesn't seem to
> work:
>
> 	./configure --with-gd /usr/lib/libgd.so

Now that gd-devel is installed, ./configure should find it without using
--with-gd.  Specifying the location is only required if you have
manually installed it in a weird location.

> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
> 	If configure fails try --with-jpeg-dir=<DIR>
> 	configure: error: PNG support requires ZLIB. Use
> 	--with-zlib-dir=<DIR>
>
> Yum claims that zlib is installed, I think:
>
> 	# yum search zlib | grep -i installed
> 	perl-Compress-Zlib.i386                  1.41-1.2.2
> installed
> 	zlib.i386                                1.2.3-1.2.1
> installed
> 	zlib-devel.i386                          1.2.3-1.2.1
> installed
>
> but what do I feed to configure??  Where is the zlib dir???

Generally speaking, once you have a lib's devel rpm installed, any
configure scripts will find them without specifying their location.  For
what you've said above, make sure jpeg, png, gd, and zlib devel rpms are
installed.

Just run ./configure and look at the output.  It should tell you if it
finds the libs.  If it fails to find something that you have installed,
it could be looking for a specific version which you may have to install
manually.

University of Southern California