[Yum] How can I find where yum installs stuff??

GeorgeE GeorgeE at ChildCareServices.org
Tue May 16 19:32:19 UTC 2006

My short question for the yum mailing list is: How can I find where yum
installs stuff??

Background (skip if you know the answer to my question)
I'm trying to install MySQL Eventum on a Fedora Core 5 box with php 5,
but it gives me this error:

Configuration Error:

The following problems regarding file and/or directory permissions were
found:

The GD extension needs to be enabled in your PHP.INI file in order for
Eventum to work properly.
The 'allow_call_time_pass_reference' directive needs to be enabled in
your PHP.INI file in order for Eventum to work properly.
I looked at phpinfo and found this configuration option: '--without-gd'

So I guess I've got to install the GD extension.....
Well, can I use yum to fix this?  I don't know, but let me do some more
installations....
yum install gd	-- did nothing
yum install gd-devel -- installed gd-devel.i386 0:2.0.33-6.2
yum install php-gd

Using locate, I find what looks like the gd extension (but I'd like to
know a way to get yum to tell me), and I try this, which doesn't seem to
work:

	./configure --with-gd /usr/lib/libgd.so
	.
	.
	.
	If configure fails try --with-jpeg-dir=<DIR>
	configure: error: PNG support requires ZLIB. Use --with-zlib-dir=<DIR>

Yum claims that zlib is installed, I think:

	# yum search zlib | grep -i installed
	perl-Compress-Zlib.i386                  1.41-1.2.2
installed
	zlib.i386                                1.2.3-1.2.1
installed
	zlib-devel.i386                          1.2.3-1.2.1
installed

but what do I feed to configure??  Where is the zlib dir???
Locate gives me several weird possiblities....
Bottom line: neither 'man yum', nor 'yum --help' nor googling tells me
how to find a log or other clue to where yum might have installed zlib.
  What's the solution?

Thanks a lot!

-- George Entenman, Child Care Services Assoc, Chapel Hill & Durham, NC

P.S. Of course, after getting configure to find zlib, there will be
another dependency to install.  :-(