[Yum] Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno, 256] No more mirrors to try.

Liam Kurmos quantum_liam at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Mar 30 09:13:12 UTC 2006

from digest (sorry if already answered):
> From: Vincent von Kaenel <vincent at von-kaenel.com>
> Subject: [Yum] Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno
> 	256] No more mirrors to try.
> To: Yum at lists.dulug.duke.edu
>
> I have a FC4 linux box and used yum regularely until approximately a month
> ago. I have similar issue than Siddharth Seth. When I run yum update I
> get:

when I had this problem it was to do with yum (and wget) not being able
to make successful dns lookups. (possible a problem with my router fireware)

setting the dns address in /etc/resolv.conf to my isp's dns address
instead of the router solved the problem.

if this doesn't work for you, others report this problem to be due to an
out of date /etc/nsswitch. updating Glibc should fix it.

Liam