[Yum] Getting proxy to work - a possible solution

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 22 19:49:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:40:40PM +0000, Jason wrote:
> I'm behind a M$ proxy at work which uses NTLM authentication. yum
> has never worked through it, currently using 2.4.1
>
> Someone suggested using NTLMaps, http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/
> which implements NTLM authentication (in python) and acts as a pass
> through proxy.

Great.  I'm glad you got it working.  Thanks for letting us know.

> I now have yum working through the M$ proxy. It would be nice if
> this could be made a FAQ

Good idea.  Done.

> or even better if yum could be made to handle it natively.

I'm not sure that's such a great idea.  Trying to chase the moving
target of a proprietary microsoft protocol smells like a recipe for
pain to me.  It's better to keep it separate so if they change things,
you can just get the new version of NTLMaps rather than have us update
yum.
					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G