[Yum] Yum proxy problem

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 20 22:51:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:57:53PM +0530, Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:
> I had a password with % in it. When I tried yum update I got HTTP Error 407
> ie authentication required.
> On searching the net for yum proxy problem I came across this
> http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-users/2004-March/000781.html
> The guy could not connect to proxy server because of a special character
> which yum misread/misencrypted.
> I changed my password to include only alphanumeric and yum worked!!!!
> Wget, apt (in ubuntu5.10) worked with old password.
> Does yum not support special characters??

It does.  Special characters in URLs (and all proxy data gets folded
into a url) should be encoded appropriately.  If your password is
"my%pass", then your proxy url would be:

   http://user:my%25pass@host.com/

See http://rfc.net/rfc2396.html for details, but the upshot is that
special characters become "%XX" where "XX" is the hex code for the
character.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G