Was [Yum] Defining failure... now minimalist yum documentation

David Potter dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 20 12:34:11 UTC 2006

I'm sorry Seth, I should have started a separate thread reflecting on
the minimalist yum documentation and the importance of human-parsable
output.
Let me re-phrase this.

1) I think that failure begins when the end user is not given enough output
information to continue the process to success.

2) If/when I try to upgrade a package and yum regretfully declines with a series of dependency issues, I would expect useful output, so that even though yum has admitted that it can't figure it out, that it would offer some idea of where to begin.

yum will tell me that package A depends on package B, C, and D

But, I'm never sure if yum knows that package B depends on package i, and ii

...or if yum knows that package ii depends on package 1, 2, and 3

...or if yum knows that the problem is actually package 2 and that resolving that issue would solve all the problems.

Should I start with the error at the top of the list? I'm not clear if yum is actually sorting the output or reporting the dependency errors in some random order.

------

I'm not sure if changing the error level will actually answer any of these questions.

"Read the FAQ" and  "Try uninstalling the offending package(s)... and re-installing them later" become routine answers  ...the tool is very blunt. Those answers are 15-20 years out of date...! While FAQs may list the "Questions". in most cases they do not actually provide the "Answer" that is needed.

I would once again refer you to the Exim documentation.