[Yum] Yum proxy problem

Sumeet Pal Singh sumeetpalsingh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 17:27:53 UTC 2006

Hi
I have installed FC4 on my comp and tried to configure yum. I am behind a
proxy server which requires authentication.
My /etc/yum.conf file is

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=0

# The proxy server - proxy server:port number
proxy=http://vsnlproxy.iitk.ac.in:3128/
# The account details for yum connections
proxy_username=spsingh
proxy_password=passwd

I had a password with % in it. When I tried yum update I got HTTP Error 407
ie authentication required.
On searching the net for yum proxy problem I came across this
http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-users/2004-March/000781.html
The guy could not connect to proxy server because of a special character
which yum misread/misencrypted.
I changed my password to include only alphanumeric and yum worked!!!!
Wget, apt (in ubuntu5.10) worked with old password.
Does yum not support special characters??

I had similar problem last month while trying to install gentoo. Emerge did
not work. Can someone try this on gentoo and let me know. I will appreciate
it.
Thanks
Sumeet