[Yum] Not sure if this is the best direction to go in

Menno Smits menno-yum at freshfoo.com
Wed Mar 8 00:14:42 UTC 2006

> I've been running into problems with Linux totally
> locking up during extremely large updates. This leaves
> the state of the update indeterminate and the state of
> RPM's database a complete mess.

Although it would be good to be able to recover from this situation we
should also be figuring out what is causing the lock ups in the first place.

Can you provide more details about these lockups...

How large are the updates you're talking about?
What distro, RPM version, Yum version?
How often do the lockups occur?
Is it just the Yum process that freezes up or the whole system?
Is the system running out of RAM/trashing during the "lockup"?

> The other thing that's proving irritating is
> dependency breakages, where one package is updated in
> an RPM database but not things that depend on it. It's
> possible to exclude things until the dependencies work
> again, but it would be cool if there was an option
> such that Yum could detect the failure than calculate
> every possible package that can't be updated (not just
> those that are directly affected, but anything
> indirectly impacted as well) and automagically exclude
> them, so that the installable updates can be updated
> without further ado.

Dependency breakages shouldn't happen. That's the whole point of Yum and
RPM. I'm guessing you're seeing packages that have incorrect or
incomplete dependencies meaning that Yum can't be expected to magically
fix things. In this case the packages need to be fixed. Can you be more
specific and give an example?

Menno