[Yum] Still hopeless on getting proxy to work

mbylander at legionaries.org mbylander at legionaries.org
Sun Mar 5 08:40:55 UTC 2006

Seth Vidal wrote:

> rpm didn't work? B/c rpm is in C, not in python.
Hmmm. I had assumed it was python because it's a "Red Hat tool" (without really looking into it). Rpm doesn't work over Internet with the environment variables. I haven't tried to figure out the syntax for specifying the proxy on the command line.

> However up2date not working makes me think the python urllib module
> hates that proxy, as well.
>
> We might just be stuck in this situation. Out of morbid
> curiosity - what
> happens if you use an ftp-based mirror? :)
The result is the same (I have to access ftp over the same proxy...).

I've been reluctant to dive in and find enough out about python and the urllib module to write a one-off test. (I know Perl, so it would theoretically be a relatively quick study, but it is still a big time investment, especially since I have to get to where I understand a relatively advanced module.)

Would it be an easy thing for you to write a short "test script" so that we can determnine if the problem is in fact upstream in the python libs? Then I could go pester a different mailing list. :-)

Thanks for all your help. If all else fails, I could set up a wget mirror of the repos I want to use, but that's somehow killing a fly with a sledgehammer...

Mark