[Yum] Defining failure...

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Mar 4 15:32:42 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 10:02 -0400, David Potter wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> I think the failure begins when the end user is not given enough output
> information to continue the process to success.

He's not talking about user output in the mail you quoted below. He's
talking about scriptable-output. More important machine-parsable output.

> If the software interface/output and documentation require a third
> degree black belt system administrator to use the product effectively -
> and the product is in the hands of individuals with all levels of
> (non)experience then failure/frustration is built in.

I don't understand where this is coming from.

> When "Read the FAQ" and  "Try uninstalling the offending package(s)...
> and re-installing them later" become routine answers  ...the tool is
> very blunt. Those answers are 15-20 years out of date...! While FAQs may
> list the "Questions". in most cases they do not actually provide the
> "Answer" that is needed.

Again, what problem is it that you're complaining about here?

We'll gladly accept additions to the docs and/or the faq. The faq is in
a wiki and Greg can give you access to it if you have some good changes
to make.

> I just realized how good the documentation for Exim actually is...  how
> do you suppose they managed that?

Again, I'm getting a very angry tone from you in this email and I don't
understand why.