[Yum] Re: yum exit codes

Ryan Frantz ryanfrantz at informed-llc.com
Fri Mar 3 19:54:50 UTC 2006

Perhaps exit codes should be more defined.  For example, '0' would
always be absolute success (all packages installed successfully).

1 = One or more packages failed to install dependencies
2 = One or more packages are already installed
4 = All selected packages failed

The only problem is that the problems could vary so much:

4 packages selected
+ 1 installed
+ 1 failed to install dependencies
+ 2 are already installed

It'd be tough to prioritize which of those statuses should raise an
error as what's important to one user may not be to another.  For
example, I don't consider a package already being installed
error-worthy; one that fails a dependency is.

ry