[Yum] yum exit codes

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Mar 3 19:37:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:28 -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> For an application that is not written in python, I need to do some
> simple yum actions (yum update/yum install/yum list updates) and would
> like to have a clean indication of whether the yum command succeeded or
> not. Unfortunately, it seems that, e.g. yum install exits with return
> code 0 even if something went wrong during the install.
>
> What is the recommended way of achieveing this without having to write
> my own python gluecode ?

define a failure for me:
- if you ask to install 5 packages and 2 of them are not available in a
repo and 1 of them is already installed but 2 of them can be installed -
is that a failure or a success?

- if you ask to remove 2 packages and 1 is not installed and 1 is
installed. Is that a failure or a success.

- if you use the yum shell and stack 3 update commands, 2 install
commands and 1 update command. And only one action does not work, is
that a failure or a success.

I'm not being flippant nor ignoring this - but I've been trying to
figure out an adequate way to express partial failure for a while and
I'm open to suggestions.