[Yum] Header generation (for read-only cache)

cdl at dodo.com.au cdl at dodo.com.au
Wed Mar 1 02:02:03 UTC 2006

I wish to have a read only yum cache that is accessed by many machines.

My yum repository is set to file:///var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages.

I populate the "packages directory using wget in mirror mode. I also get the
"repodata" subdirectory.

Now I can use yum directly:

As intended "yum check-update" gets files such as repomd.xml from
/var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/repodata/ and places them in
/var/cache/yum/updates-released/.

A "yum install kernel-2.6.15-xxx.i686" works well and produces a header in
/var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/.
("file" reports the header type as "data")

I wish to create all headers so that I can run in cache-only mode on
NFS-mounted clients. So I use "/usr/share/yum-cli/pullheaders.py". This
produces the headers in the correct location, but the file type is reported
differently:
headers/cups-1-1.1.23-15.4.i386.hdr:       gzip compressed data, was
".newheaders/cups-1-1.1.23-15.4.", max compression

What is my mistake?

Chris

Dodo - an Official
Sponsor of the