[Yum] yum wants to install a lower arch

Clodoaldo Pinto clodoaldo.pinto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:52:52 UTC 2006

2006/6/26, Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com>:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 16:48 -0300, Clodoaldo Pinto wrote:
> > I have postgresql-libs-8.1.3-1.x86_64 installed.
> >
> > # yum list installed postgres*
> > Installed Packages
> > postgresql-libs.x86_64                   8.1.4-1.FC5.1          installed
> >
> > When I try to install postgres* yum wants to install
> > postgresql-libs-8.1.3-1.i386:
>
> On a dual-arch system like x86_64, yum will always install both
> architectures by default.  It's not installing postgresql-
> libs-8.1.3-1.i386 instead of .x86_64.  It's just installing it because
> you asked for it on the command-line and it's in the repo.

I misunderstood the exactarch=1 configuration parameter. I though it
would prevent yum from installing different arch packages from those
already installed, but now reading the manual more carefully I see the
exactarch parameter only works for updates not for installs.

>From the yum.conf manual:

       exactarch
              Either '1' or '0'. Set to '1' to make yum update only update the
              architectures of packages that you have installed. ie: with this
              enabled yum will not install an i686 package to update  an  i386
              package. Default is '1'.

Regards, Clodoaldo