[Yum] problems reinstalling yum

Roland Ziegler (dopoly GmbH) ziegler at dopoly.de
Wed Jun 14 10:40:27 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I recently tried to reinstall yum by removing the rpms from my FC4
system using "rpm --erase yum-2.3.2-7" and installing it again using
"rpm -Uvh yum-2.3.2-7.noarch.rpm". After doing this, I receive the
following error message while starting yum regardless what parameters I use:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 15, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 34, in main
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/locale.py", line 379, in setlocale
    return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

I even tried to reinstall python (the same way like yum) and installed
different versions of yum but nothing did help up to now.

Does anyone of you have an idea how to fix that?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Roland