[Yum] Porting YUM to a new OS

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Jun 1 06:29:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:15:41PM +0200, Ross Cameron wrote:
> I'm an embedded systems developer and would like to port the following
> to my OS:
>     1)   RPM   (specifically for the rpmbuild component - yes I'm lazy)
>     2)   YUM   (so I can simplify the updating and repair of my devices)
>
> The system is a small (8.1MB) GNU/Linux OS based on Slackware (not my
> choice - boss likes Slackware not me)
>
> Any thoughts???

It's less about "porting" and more about deps.  RPM is C, but will
have deps.  Yum is python.  If you have python, it should run.  If you
don't, then it won't.  If you're looking to keep it light, then you
can ship yum (and python deps) in uncompiled form.

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619
  University of Arizona                                         ECE 524G