[Yum] MemoryError

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 16:38:35 UTC 2006

Greets,

I am having a really hard time completing the following upgrade.  I
started with a RHEL 4 system and switched it over to CentOS 4.3 like
so:

I downloaded the following from a CentOS mirror into an empty
directory (in my case, they're on my USB memory stick):

centos-release-4-2.1.i386.rpm
centos-yumconf-4-4.3.noarch.rpm
python-elementtree-1.2.6-4.i386.rpm
python-sqlite-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm
python-urlgrabber-2.9.6-2.noarch.rpm
RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
sqlite-3.2.2-1.i386.rpm
yum-2.4.0-1.centos4.noarch.rpm

Then ran:

rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
rpm -e --nodeps redhat-release
rpm -Uvh *.rpm

then

yum upgrade

Yum upgrade is chewing up all the available RAM and swap on the system
and failing to complete.  Here's what happens:

[root at delhi yum]# yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
0 headers removed
0 packages removed
9 metadata files removed
0 cache files removed
1 cache files removed

[root at delhi yum]# yum -y upgrade
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  62 kB    00:01
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 97, in main
    result, resultmsgs = do()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 480, in doCommands
    return self.updatePkgs()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 949, in updatePkgs
    self.doRepoSetup()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 75, in doRepoSetup
    self.doSackSetup(thisrepo=thisrepo)
  File "__init__.py", line 260, in doSackSetup
  File "repos.py", line 287, in populateSack
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 96, in getPrimary
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 83, in _getbase
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 79, in getDatabase
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 239, in makeSqliteCacheFile
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 150, in createTablesPrimary
  File "sqlitecache.py", line 188, in createDbInfo
  File "/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
line 237, in execute
  File "/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
line 515, in _begin
MemoryError

All my attempts to work around this have failed.  I found a few
threads on the 'net about FC5, yum, and sqlite but I don't think that
bug applies here.

Any suggestions for how I can get a yum upgrade to complete would be
greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.